by Z&Y Restaurant in SF
By: Chef Li Jun Han
Published on: November 16, 2016
Description: This is a delicious recipe for creating authentic Dan Dan Noodle sauce. It is provided courtesy of Z & Y Restaurant’s executive Chef Han, an internationally renowned chef in the world of authentic Asian cuisine.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: 4
– Ground Sichuan peppercorns (1 teaspoon)
– Sichuan peppercorns oil (1 1/4 teaspoon)
– Black vinegar (1/2 tablespoon)
– Red chili oil (1/2 tablespoon)
– Salt (1 teaspoon)
– Kikkoman soy sauce (2 teaspoon)
– Raw peanut (1/2 tablespoon)
– Raw sesame (1/2 tablespoon)
– Chinese sesame paste (1/2 tablespoon)
– Chopped zha cai (1 tablespoon – Chinese pickles in Chinese grocery store)
– Red chili (3 red chili peppers)
– Stir fry sesame (With low heat until the sesame turned into golden brown color. Do not overheat the sesame as it will taste bitter)
– Deep fry peanut, peel and chop the peanuts (With low heat. Do not overcook the peanut. Freshly cooked peanuts have better flavor)
– Thin the Chinese sesame paste with oil
– Stir fry Sichuan peppercorns and then chop them
– Mix chopped peanut, stir fried sesame, chopped chili flake, red chili oil, ground Sichuan peppercorns, chopped zha cai, sesame peanut, black vinegar and Kikkoman soy sauce together.
– Put the mixed Dan Dan sauce on the noodle, then serve.
When cooking your noodles, try the following tips to get a better result:
– Add a half ounce of salt per 20 ounces of boiling water to prevent the noodles from clumping together
– Using dried noodles? Put your noodles in the pot as soon as the water begins to bubble. Then place the lid on top, and remove to stir a few times until the water reaches a boil. At that point, put a bit of cold water in the pot, and lower the heat to medium for a few minutes before turning off entirely. Keep the lid on and let the noodles sit for five minutes before removing.
– Noodles still sticking together after cooking can be sprayed with rice wine and then more easily separated.
– A wooden spoon placed across a boiling pot will prevent the water from boiling over